Monday, May 23, 2011

Monte Carlo

Our first day in Monte Carlo was a little draining,,,,(read previous post).  I had not slept at all on the flight over, of course that was NOT Steve's problem, he slept just fine.  The movie selection was horrible on the Air France flight, so I read most of the way.


We arrived at the hotel around 10 am on Thursday morning. I unpacked the clothes, and crawled into bed. I was hoping to sleep---but that did not come. We had a welcome reception that night at the Monte Carlo casino. That place was really awesome very old and elegant to say the least.  Steve hosted a dinner that night at a hotel restaurant for 16 people. I did not know any of the guests, but was able to visit some.  Most of them were Asians and the wine was very good.  After dinner we all went back to our rooms for some much needed sleep.


Friday morning I had a spousal tour of a perfume factory in Eza. Eza is a small village on a hillside just up from Monte Carlo. Deb and I went together and had a nice time shopping around the village. We had lunch in a gorgeous hotel overlooking the Med Sea. The views were breath taking to say the least.


That night was the black tie event. The black tie was nice, but not like the others have been when Jack is in charge. We saw lots of our old friends we see every year and it was fun to catch up with all. Some people met up at the bar after the event, but Steve and I were SMART and left after the dinner. We were both tired and he had another day of meetings. I was sure glad we did too, because most of them stayed up until 4 in the morning dancing and of course drinking!!! It was unusual for us to NOT be involved, but we were sure glad we had not gone for that 'nightcap'.


Saturday at noon the speaker was a retired Formula One winner. I can not remember his name and I am sure you would not know who he was either. The 'speech' was actually an interview given live by a newsman from the BBC. The driver was very difficult to understand with his heavy French accent, and quite frankly not a lot of us 'got' what he was saying. So he was kind of a bust in our opinion.


Sunday in the rain Jack, Deb, Steve and I took off for the palace. We saw the church where Princess Grace and Rainer were married. We had a great time despite the rain and ended up having a great dinner that night at a fine Italian establishment.


Monday--Jack and Deb had to go back to USA. Steve and I rented a car and drove to Cannes France. The Film Festival was going on, and boy was it crowded!!! I am sure we saw lots of famous people, but had no idea WHO they were!!  We had another nice dinner that night, and watched a full moon over Monte Carlo.


Tuesday afternoon we headed to the airport with anticipation of my passport being where they said it was. I was not going to be satisfied until I had the passport in my hand.  We found the right office at the airport in Nice and sure enough they had it!!! All was well.  
Our trip home was uneventful which is the way we WANTED it!!!
Good time in Monte Carlo despite my mess ups!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment