Sunday, August 18, 2013

Back up a bit---this could be long!!!

Had a great time in Winfield for Daddy's 90th birthday party. Everyone had a great time, plus it all went smoothly. I would guess there were about 125 people total at the church.  That night we had a family gathering on the deck.  We saw lots of cousins from Wichita, some we had not seen for a very long time. It is always great to get together. All families need to do it more often.



I stayed on with Mother and Daddy for a few days in Winfield. We went to Wichita a few times, and on my last day there I took Daddy up to the Veterans for a blood draw.  I then took off for KC.  I was able to squeeze a night in with my friend Diane that Thursday night. We had a wonderful dinner at one of my favorite places to eat in KC....J Gilberts!! 

On Friday morning Betsy and I had planned a night alone at Argosy Hotel!! Boy, were we excited!!!   We started off with having a pedicure, then to a Mexican place for lunch. It was perfect.  We checked into our hotel room around 3 pm and the night was all ours!!! We wandered down to the casino floor!! Ha.. imagine that!!! Betsy helped me with Pai Gow, which is a lot of fun it you get a good dealer, and some fun people at your table.  We both won a little at that game. We then took a break,  (with each of us having a 500 dollar chip!!!)  We then played some blackjack!!   We had a lot of fun at that table too. We took several breaks, and had a nice steak dinner---played Black Jack and Pai Gow until about midnight that night----- off and on. We both came out winners too!!! I won 500 bucks and Betsy won about 300, plus we played all night long on those winnings!! It was a lot of fun. That morning we had breakfast at the hotel, and THOUGHT about a few more games of Black Jack, but decided we should not push our luck. So we headed back to Betsys house.  

Saturday evening Jonathan, Jen, Sydney and Stella all came with us to a balloon festival in Olathe. It was awesome and the girls really loved it a lot.  There were about 40 balloons that filled up and took off right in front of our eyes!! It was fun to watch Emily and Sydneys faces. Syd asked if it would POP??? ha!!

Sunday morning I drove to St. Louis to spend a little bit of time with Bo and family. Olivia has braces now, and she is so grown up!! She is anxious for school to start, and I am sure she will have a great year at school.  Eli was playing golf with Bo for a while, then he came home and showed me his skills of golfing---and by golly he has them!!!  He is also good on a 'split razor'.... ( i think that is what it is called), it is basically a skate board with a split in the middle. It---- to me------ looks likes several trips to the ER,,, but he is darn good on it, and I did NOT even try!! Bo and Cyndi cooked us hamburgers, corn on the cob, so you know I was in heaven.  

I left early the next morning headed for home!! I drove almost 700 miles that day to just the east side of Wheeling West Virginia.  Then was up early the next morning to drive on home. I arrived around 3 pm on Tuesday.  Of course--- boxes and STUFF were still all over the house!!

I finally got the entire upstairs put together on Friday. It looks great, and sure felt good. I managed to find a 'home' for every little thing, and if I did not find a home---- it went in attic, or out the door!!! We have decided we have wayyyyyy too much STUFF!!! How do we manage to do this all the time???? I have no idea.  


So grab a cup of coffee, glass of wine, coke or ice tea for the rest of this story, it is America at its finest!!

COMCAST????? 

Our brand new, "smart," huge TV arrived on Tuesday----- after some hassle with the gatehouse here at Port Lib.  I tell you NOTHING is easy around here. They would not let the delivery truck in the gate because I had not "scheduled" it!!  Well, hell I had no idea it was coming on a delivery truck, I truly thought it would be delivered via UPS, we ordered it off of Amazon!! So after some pleading to the guard, and letting her know the story, I was able to escort this truck in with our tv!!! Steve was home fairly early that day---I think he was anxious to see his new tv.  Well, this thing is much smarter than we are, so after setting it up on the stand, he sat down to read a little about it.  We had Comcast coming on Friday, so 2 more days and we would be 'back on the grid' at home!!! So we just looked at a beautiful blank TV for 2 days.

 Comcast was due at our house between the hours of 3 pm and 5 pm Friday.  Steve raced home to be here when they arrived, because he wanted to make sure they set EVERYTHING up and all was working well.  4:30 comes around and we have heard NOTHING from Comcast. I dial up their automated system, go through about 5 minutes of prompts---"they tell us we have an appointment between 3-5 today". YES we know--- that where are they??? It is now close to 5 pm and I am thinking Friday night, they are not going to work past 5.  I finally reach a LIVE person, and she tells me there is a note that the tech will be late to our home, and he will be there between 6 and 7 pm.  We think alright,,, that is good. So we wait some more. It is close to 7 pm now, and I call Comcast BACK!! I am of course put on hold waiting for a support person, after about 20 minutes someone comes on the line and says.."the tech says he was at your door, beige building with gray door, and no one answered"!!!  I am dumbfounded!! I say, trucks are out at Port Lib all the time, they should KNOW the address, PLUS we have a RED DOOR just as plain as can be, there is NO WAY in hell that guy was at our door!!! Steve is in the back ground telling me to tell them to have him COME BACK!!   Well, that did not work, and she tells us the best she can do is re-schedule for Monday afternoon!! I ask if they install on Saturdays and she says yes, but they are full!! I ask to speak to her supervisor, and she says ok, clicks me to the music, and I wait for about 5 minutes then the CALL is SUDDENLY DISCONNECTED!!!   I take a deep breath, and call BACK!!!! I, of course, have to explain my situation to EVERYONE I talk to, even though ALL I wanted was a SUPERVISOR!!!  I finally have Ebony the supervisor on the phone, and she is apologetic, and I ask her if there is any way she can get us installed on SATURDAY?? She agrees to do this, and says yes she can make that happen, they will be here between 3 and 5 pm on Saturday, AND will call you when they are on the way!!! It is the best we can do at this point, so we take it, go to dinner, and dream about the time we will be connected to the world again!! 

Early Saturday morning--8 am I receive a voicemail from a guy at Comcast apologizing for what happened yesterday, and to again let us know they will be out between 3-5 pm today, and he certainly hoped we had a better experience. He left his name, Joe, and phone number.

Saturday comes, and we are running some errands in the morning, Steve sees a sight and sound store in Bayonne and wants to go in and see if they do residential hooks ups of computers, speakers, etc. Our confidence in Comcast doing ANYTHING besides getting us a signal has gone out the window and there is no way Steve can figure out all these wires!! We meet the owner of this store, Nick, and explain our situation. He says yes--- they do do that, but he would have to see our set up to let us know how much, how long and when he can do this!! He asks if he can come out in about 2 hours to look at our set up. Of course!!!! we say---by then we are thinking it will be 5 pm and Comcast WILL be installed so he might just come in and say,,,, oh you just hook up this this and this,,, and we are good to go. THAT would have earned him at least a hundred dollars!!! However, he shows up at 4 pm, no Comcast, but Nick looks at everything and says yes he and another guy can do this in about 2 hours, on either Tuesday or Friday of next week. We say SOLD!! He will call us on Monday to let us know for sure the day he can do it!! ALRIGHT things are looking up.   It is now 4;30 on Saturday afternoon, we have heard NOTHING from Comcast. In the mean time I call Ebony---(I had her direct line)  Lo and behold I get her voice mail!!!! She says her hours are 2pm to 10 pm on Saturday!! Hot dog, I think, and leave her a pretty FIRM voice mail, asking her to call me ASAP.  We wait about 20 minutes and I call her back!! I press 1 'because I needed to talk to ANY supervisor !! I am in the voice "Q" with an approximate 25 minute wait!!! I put it on speaker, and now it is 6 pm!! We are suppose to go to dinner, and I had not showered all day. So I left Steve in charge of the 'hold' and went to take a shower!!! After I step out of shower, I hear Steve on the phone.....YES he is coming tonight, and is now on his WAY!!! Woot woot!!! Then I hear a 'ding' on my phone for a voice mail!! Still not sure why it went to voice mail, but it is the Comcast guy telling us he is at the gate---- but they will NOT let him in the complex because it is after 5 pm!!!!! Steve is livid, he jumps in the car, and has me call the Comcast guy telling him to WAIT!! The Comcast guy does NOT answer his phone!! (this has been less than 1 minute from when he left the VM!!!! I try again, and get his VM,,,,and leave him a scathing message, that we COULD have gotten him in, and there is NO WAY he can leave and not be in the area!!!! Steve comes back to the house and says Comcast guy is GONE!!!! UGHHH!!! 
About 10 minutes later I get another call from Mr. Comcast guy,,, and he says he was getting something to eat and had left his phone in the truck, but that if we could get him in the complex he will come back!!! So Steve goes back to the gatehouse, and bribes, pleads, and begs Sha-Randa at the gate house to PLEASE make an exception for us, and kind of tells a shortened version of our 2 day Comcast saga!! She relents and lets him in!!! 
In walks the blackest most smiley short man I have seen for a while. He is nice and gets right to work.  Do you think that went smoothly?? HELL NO!!!!! COMCAST did NOT have us down for internet service!!! WTH??? ONLY for phones and cable!!!! So Mr. Comcast has to get on the phone to Comcast to have them push some button so we can have internet!! He is on hold for about an HOUR!! We give him our cell phones to have a better chance, and he gets on our newly connected land line!!! So we are putting the modem on the second floor, and he gets it all installed, THEN realizes we do NOT have a phone jack on that wall---it is on the opposite wall!!!! Mr. Comcast left our house on Saturday night at 9 pm, he had arrived at our house for his 3-5 pm appointment at 6:45 pm!!!

We now have cable----- with out surround sound, internet----- only on the 3rd floor, and a phone line!!! UNREAL what we have gone through!!! 
Nick will be out this week to hook us up better!!! Mr. Comcast told us we HAD to use their modem, after Steve had already bought a high dollar modem for us to use!! Nick will change that out, and HOPEFULLY by the end of this week, we will be all connected with speakers, computer, printers and EVERYTHING working.
NOTHING IS EASY IN NEW JERSEY!!! Plus believe me when I tell you, I have just hit the 'highlights' of the Comcast saga,,,,, it could be about 3 times this long, if I felt like typing it all out!! So so sad!!! 

We were so depressed and disgusted this Sunday afternoon, that we threw the towel in on ALL we had to do here----  went to see the movie The Butler!! Forest Whitaker does a fantastic job in this movie as the Butler. Steve was not nuts about it, he thought they could have told more history, but I enjoyed it. 

Now I am going to take a long bath, and watch a show on our cable tv!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment