Thursday, July 11, 2013

LIFE IN NEWPORT

Life in the apartment is interesting to say the least.  We do feel very old to say the least.  This area in Jersey City is like being in 'little' India.  They are young professionals every where.  These families also bring over what are clearly their parents. The parents are in charge of the kids during the day, and the strollers you see around here would make a wonderful advertisement. Almost everyone has a kid or two with them, or at least pregnant!! Most of them are very nice and friendly, but Steve and I for sure feel out of place!! This stay can not end soon enough for us.  I have not even mentioned the most uncomfortable bed and sofa on earth in this place.  

The other afternoon around noon, I  stepped on the elevator with a 3 year old boy screaming to his Grandmother,....."I do NOT want rice for lunch,,, No no no no!!!".  I thought I would 'help' the situation and said,,,, "Oh yummy, rice sounds so good, I have to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches"!.. He looked at me, and said....."I want peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!!".   Oh my I thought, I have not helped this at all!!!   The young boy kept whining for PBJ.......I looked at the Grandmother and told her I would be happy to bring him a sandwich.  She asked the young lad if he wanted this nice lady to bring him a PBJ?? He shook his head yes, and with a smile thanked me. I asked for their apartment number----- 1806, one floor down from us, and I went home and made him a PBJ.  Ten minutes later I was delivering this little guy a pbj!!! The Grandmother thanked me profusely but I told her, I was the one that started it, I have 6 grandchildren, and 4 of them are right around his age, so I totally understood.  
Just this morning I saw the little boy playing in the playground, and he ran over to me and gave me a hug. He was so cute.  

 Steve inside our little apartment
The outside of our building. We are the front one, there are about 5 of these buildings around here.

 Liberty State Park by Ellis Island. This is the monument for 9/11 on the Jersey side.


We have purchased a new mattress for us, and a daybed with 2 twin mattress's for what WAS my office upstairs at Port Lib. We are turning that room into a grandkid/craft room. So it will be nice to have 2 extra beds upstairs for when we have company.  

We are about a week away from having our storage delivered, and about 12 days (we hope) from having our big stuff from Japan delivered. It will be cutting it close since I must leave on Monday July 29th for Winfield, for Daddy's 90th birthday party!!  As long as we have the stuff delivered I will be happy, I am sure it will still be there ready to be put a way when I get back home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment