It was a breeze driving through western NJ and watching the sunrise. All systems go, not much traffic, weather good, and I am listening to NPR. All is great for a good 2 hours !! We hear on the radio where a huge major snow storm is coming up the "Eastern Seaboard"---we are headed WEST good THING!! DC is getting pounded at the time, Steve and I are feeling pretty smug we have 'beat' this storm.
On into the mountains of Pa. What is that spitting from the sky??? SNOW !! It starts dumping, inches upon inches. Steve calls me from his car--which is right behind me--"Press on baby" just a few more miles and we will be OUT of THIS !! Like I fool, I believe him. We call Jonathan and he says---"Yeah,, just keep going about 50 more miles and it is smooth sailing"!!! Now we are down to one lane on interstate, snow still falling and not a snow plow in site !! White knuckle driving is what I call it!!!! It is 10 am in the morning, --now I am thinking,,,, "guess we did NOT beat this darn thing" !! But ---I listen to the 'men in my life',, and PRESS ON BABY !!
The next hour is nothing but snow, and it is FALLING fast!!! The oil light comes on in my car--NEVER HAPPENS !! I call Steve, he is thinking ok,, just keep an eye on the temp of the engine and press on baby !!!
By 1 pm, the snow is about 10 inches, and I have HAD IT !! We have gone about 50 miles in about 2 hours, and I am frazzled. Steve is hungry, we stop at a McDonalds!! The temperature is about 20 degrees, windy, snow--- I am just glad to get OUT of the car. I find out during lunch, that Steve is even ready to get off the road. We are in this small town in Pa. The only hotel is a BUDGET INN!! It is about as big as my bathroom, but it is fairly clean. After driving around this town, looking for this 'special' weight of oil my car needs. We have left my car at McDonalds. After 3 places---- we find the oil. Head back to the hotel, with a bottle of wine, (another story!!) and proceed to de-compress from the nerve racking drive!!!
Next morning----a foot of snow on the ground, but SUNSHINE !! We hit the Pa. Turnpike,-----PAVEMENT we see all the way. It is a great day, and the state of Pa. has done a great job of clearing all this snow off. We are headed to Ohio, and all is well. We have to press on, and succeed in 'getting some miles' in. By 4 pm we have driven 600 miles, and I am tired of driving. In front of us we see, some fog, and darkness is sitting in quickly. Steve says,,, "Press on baby" another HOUR and then we will stop !! I LISTEN !!! Within 10 minutes snow starts, freezing rain, and the interstate in about 15 minutes is a sheet of ice, it is pitch black dark out, and it is 4:10 !!! Not an exit in site, and only small towns. We are now in eastern Illinois. We pass 1, then 2 cars in the ditch. We are traveling 30 MPH, --- driving is TREACHEROUS !! Not a sign on the road of HOTELS !! I finally HAVE to stop, I see an "Ozark type gift shop". I am going in !! Of course that is ALL -----at this EXIT. We ask for a hotel, "15 miles up the road". 15 MILES !! ICE, and it is HORRIBLE and DARK!!!
We slide into this hotel at 6:30 PM------14 miles in 2.5 HOURS---about 12 cars in the ditch, --- I am just trying to NOT be one of them !! We stopped at a Days Inn, a little bigger than the night before, but again just HAPPY to be off the road, and both cars in ONE PIECE !! There was a Pizza Hut across the street, we went there had a pizza, and both were in bed by 8 pm.
Then next morning we breezed on into KC both cars intact--!!! We are going to Winfield tomorrow, and I hear there is ANOTHER STORM out there !! UGHHHHH !!! We will make it home for CHRISTMAS,, come SNOW or ICE !!!
Sorry this is so long, but a lot to tell, AND I left a LOT of things out I really think I could write a book!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment