We already knew about 4 couples on the trip, there was almost 50 that took the trip. A couple of families with small kids, and some with teen agers, who were there to mainly ski. About 12 of us took of the first afternoon, to find a place to eat. We turned the WRONG way outside the hotel, and like Steve always does, we ended up in the industrial part of this town!! (Steve was not navigating this one, so can not blame him!!). We had a great time, and eventually found a bar, and food, so that was the main thing.
That night we went to a very cheesie, very touristy place in the middle of Sapporo. It was like a banquet hall that served about 400 tourist at a time. It was awful!!! The beer was not too bad, so that made up for it, and they did have vegetables so I did not starve. Sunday we went to Odari which is about an hour bus ride north of Sapporo. (damn near to Siberia it felt like!!). It was cold, but a cute little town, but the snow was just falling to beat the band. Our tour guide gave us 20 minutes to get out and look at this clock, and the canal that meets the ocean, I think we all took about 2 pictures and were back in the bus in 10 minutes!!!
That night we went to a crab place, fried crab, boiled crab, au-gratin crab--you get the picture. It was not horrible, but again not my cup of tea!!! I survived though, and we ended up at the hotel bar wrapping up a fun day. THEN we had a 5.9 earthquake!!! It shook that little hotel for 10 minutes!! It was right up there with the biggest one I have ever felt, and certainly lasted long, but I think only because our hotel was not nearly as strong, and 'earthquake' proof as the buildings and especially ours here in Tokyo are. Of course, Steve slept through most of it, except when it was happening, and I think that is what most of the other guys did to!!
Sunday was a day of traversing the sculptures and going out on your own. We had a great day then, and Monday morning the guys got up early and went to a local bar that had the Superbowl. We met up with them about the time of the black out, and waited through that, and honestly it became a better game after that. I had to come home and watch the half-time, and commercials, but they were very good I thought---loved the Budweiser one.
Monday night the sculptures were lit up for the opening, but it was heavy snow coming down, and very cold, so needless to say we walked quickly. We had most of Tuesday before our flight to see the finishing touches, and the snow had stopped by then, and it was much easier to get pictures.
PICTURES?? ha,,, click here on THIS link to take you to the pictures, or you may click on the tab above under Sapporo pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment